Thursday, October 29, 2015

The Plan of Salvation

Braxton and I had to speak in our church meeting last week on the Plan of Salvation! Worst topic EVER when it comes to crying haha! There were a lot of thoughts that went into it, so I'll share it here, because it presents a lot of things I've haven't talked about yet :) It's long, I know... sorry haha!

The Plan of Salvation

In a talk that Larry M. Gibson gave at BYU last year (“Following Heavenly Father’s Plan”), he states that part of the plan of happiness includes “The opportunity for us and for our families to return to our heavenly parents, prepared for exaltation and eternal life.”

But in order to get there, I believe we need to have a plan. When we make plans, we need to make goals first! If there was one thing that was pounded into my head as a missionary, it was “figen metas y hagan planes, “ or, to “set goals and make plans.”

Elder Gibson states “Heavenly Father believes in plans. He has a plan for the salvation of His children—a specific plan just for you. It is referred to as the plan of happiness because it is designed to bring us happiness in this life and a fullness of joy in the life to come.”

Heavenly Father’s plan for me has been amazing. It all started when I was adopted, and has been nothing but wonderful ever since. But recently, I’ve learned a lot about the difference between His plan and mine. I had the perfect plan to reach a couple of the biggest goals I’ve set for myself: to get a Master’s degree and become a mother. the plan was to take the pre-reqs for BYU’s Master’s of Social Work program and be accepted to the program for Fall 2015. My goal was to finish the program right in time for Braxton to start his graduate program wherever he was accepted. That way I would be able to have a good job to get him through school. I also decided that this was the perfect time to have a baby! I even knew when I had to get pregnant and have the baby to fit perfectly into the school aspect of my plans! I didn’t feel like it was right to put off a family for a Master’s program, and even though I knew it would be hard to do it with a little one, we’d figure it out!

It didn’t take long for me to get pregnant (which I am so grateful for) and I took the pre-reqs for the master’s program and got excellent grades in them (even an A- in my STATS class!). I obtained outstanding letters of recommendation, volunteered at Primary’s, had a wonderful mentor at BYU with her PhD in Social Work who said with all these things and many more, I was a shoe in. I already knew what I wanted to do with my degree and Licensure- adoptions and International child welfare. I was so excited! I submitted my application in January and patiently waited to hear back.

Last November, we found out there was a possibility of Trevor having Down Syndrome. I cannot tell you how hard that week was. I kept thinking that if he did indeed have it, it would make my plans for getting a Masters much harder.

Then early one morning this past March, Trevor came 5 weeks early. It was a whirlwind! We knew he had Down Syndrome, but the only thing I was a little worried about was how it would affect me being able to do the Master’s Program. I didn’t know if he’d have a lot of extra doctors appointments, therapy sessions, etc. that would make traveling to Provo hard.

The day after he arrived, I got an email that the decision about the program had been made. I went to the BYU website and closed my eyes as I waited for the page to upload that had my results. I open my eyes and saw, “We regret to inform you that…” I didn’t even bother to finish reading the rest. I sat there in disbelief for a few minutes. My perfect plan was falling apart! Ok, I DID get my baby, which I was so grateful for, but he came in circumstances different that I’d planned for. But I wouldn’t have a masters. I wouldn’t have a good job to get us through Grad school... what was I going to do?

Sister Worthen, (wife of BYU president Kevin Worthen) said to BYU students last year,  when setting goals, it is important “to allow for flexibility. It is important that we learn to adjust to change. We need to learn not to panic when things don’t go exactly as we have planned . . . Learning to be flexible and adjusting to change can often be very difficult. However, if we are striving to reach our full potential and are setting goals that are in line with Heavenly Father’s plan for us, He will help and guide us.”  
She speaks of the prophet Nephi, and explains that, perhaps, he had plans, too. Specific plans to achieve certain goals, but that “Heavenly Father had different plans for Nephi. His route was not going to be a straight course. Nephi definitely had unexpected detours. But because of his obedience and great faith, he did not panic or fear the detours. He was able to be flexible and adjust to the changes that occurred. He was also very willing to learn new things along the way—even things that may have seemed impossible, such as building an “exceedingly fine” ship (1 Nephi 18:4) that would carry his family to the land of promise.
Nephi had many wonderful qualities. He accomplished much during his life . . . [but always possessed the] ability to stay true even when detours were placed in his path. He not only made the necessary adjustments to his plans but did so with a positive attitude. He was always grateful and quick to recognize and acknowledge the tender mercies of the Lord in his life—even during the unexpected and difficult times. If we can be flexible with similar grace, we will be blessed, as was Nephi.”

Several years ago, I went to a YSA activity where Elder Christofferson spoke to us very candid manner. I remember feeling the Spirit the whole time, but the only words I remember him saying were that if you’re doing the best we can, you will have the righteous desire of your hearts. I think of that often now, along with these words in Isaiah (58:8-9):

8 ¶For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
In his talk, Larry M. Gibson substituted the word “plans” for “ways”, so that the scripture says, “My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your [plans] my [plans for you], saith the Lord”
Going back to that day in the hospital, I remember that  almost as soon as those thoughts of fear and confusion popped into me head, they were instantly swept away as a calm feeling came over me. I knew the Spirit was telling me that this was the right thing, that this may not have been my plan, but it was someone else’s. Those fearful thoughts I had had moments before were replaced with knowing that the reasons I wanted to do Social Work were good reasons; I would be be able to bless many lives doing adoptions and advocating to improve child welfare. But there was a better reason to NOT be in school right now years; a little boy, born with Down Syndrome, who needed me to advocate for HIM, and be there with him for these next years. What a tender mercy this was.

In the days that followed, I continued to think about this turn of events and realized how much stress heavenly Father had just saved me! I’m sure that if there’s anything he knows about me, it’s that I can get beyond stressed when it comes to school work. He had to deal with that for 4+ years while I was trying through my studies at BYU! I’m almost positive that had I been accepted to the program right then, I would have been so worried all summer about starting the program. Wondering how I’d be able to stay on top of my grades to not get kicked out of the program if I got 3 Cs. Would I even enjoy it? Yes, He knows me, and He knows what is best.

My patriarchal blessing says that I will have the opportunity to go on to advanced collegiate degrees if I chose to, and that the Lord would sustain and assist me in those studies; but I am to choose something that would allow be to serve and bless the lives of others. With this promise I know that one day, when it’s the right time, I'll get that righteous desire of my heart, I’ll be able to get that Master’s of Social Work degree.
(There was something else here that I am sharing in a separate post, so you should read it! It's my favorite part of this talk!)
I know that God has always had a plan for me! Many times it's gone differently than I imagine it would, but by now I should know that His plans are ALWAYS better than mine, 100% of the time! I am so grateful for a loving Father in Heaven who knows exactly what I need. I am so blessed to have the Atonement in my life, to help me get through the unexpected events, to pick me back up when I fall down. I am so incredibly grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ :) 

1 comment:

  1. I am sitting here reading through your sweet posts! Thank you! This one was just what I needed to read today! Blessings to you and your amazing family!

    ReplyDelete